Sunday, January 13, 2008

GSA (a.k.a. Gluttony Sufferers Anonymous)


Hello. My name is Kristin Hansen and I suffer from gluttony.

This week I have been striving to overcome this huge desire to stuff my face all day long. The more unhealthy it is the more my mouth seems to want to have it. Before Thanksgiving I was doing pretty good with Weight Watchers (keeping in my POINTS range most of the time and exercising 3-4 days a week for an hour). However, I have gone back to my gluttonous ways and I am struggling to return from the abyss!

I was blaming this on my children, saying that they were the ones that made me get so fat and so tired that I don't have the energy or brain power to resist those cakes and cookies or get off my rear end (not to their faces of course--what kind of mother do you think I am!?). However, I remember now that it started back with the Freshman 15 (or 25 or whatever it was)!!! In high school I seemed to have a lot more restraint. I was never the skinny girl but I had will power to eat one candy bar over several days or eat only a slice of bread or two rather than half a loaf! : ) Then I left home, bought my own groceries with no one telling me what to eat or when to eat or how much to eat and not having to share the food with a house full of people. My slumbering gluttony awoke and reared its ugly head and I seem to be able only to knock it out for short periods of time, never eradicate it!

I have been trying, for over a year, to lose 50 lbs. so that the next time I was pregnant I would not just continue to add another 10 lbs. to my bulk. I have managed to lose 30-35 lbs. which I should be proud of, but I can't seem to get passed the fact that I still have 20 to go. Does anyone have any magic will power pills to sell?! My good friend has started a 6 month BiggestLoser competition and I think that will help, but I am not a very competitive person so the thought of it hasn't been enough so far to get me to stop wanting (and usually giving in) to eating everything in sight. However, I do not want to report a weight gain so I have been limiting my portions (somewhat) and chewing a lot of gum to make me stop and think before I stuff. Maybe slowly but surely my once emerging better health habits will return.

Does anybody out there suffer like me and have suggestions for conquering the gluttony monster? HELP!!!

2 comments:

Ilene said...

I am with you, darlin'

The only way I try to deal with my eating desires is don't bake it (or if I do, give it away) or eat in front of people so at least I get embarassed if I go overboard.

I find I am better at controlling my eating when my husband or friends are watching.

I have also discovered that if I am busy I forget about eating. However, I am in no way perfect.

I have a good 15 pounds to lose but I will admit I am good with losing five.

Colleen said...

I feel your pain! I have so much "baby weight" to lose! It seems like I eat so much junk! It really doesn't help my weight loss cause when there's a lot of candy & chips in the house. I need to stop buying all of that junk. It's so hard for me to get motivated to exercise. I just need to get in the habit. Best of luck in your quest for a hot bod!!!