Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Wal-Mart trip from *@!?


Today I took my baby to the doctor and found out that he is wasting away! At 10 months he weighs only 25 lbs. 9 oz.! He has now gone down from the 97th percentile for weight and is now matching his height in the 90th percentile. : ) But this blog is not about Joshua. I want to rant a little about the time spent at Wal-Mart after the doctor. Living an hour away from any good shopping we take what we can get. In Othello, where our doctor is, there is just a Wal-Mart so that is of course where we headed to run our errands. However, this trip to Wal-Mart was one of the worst that I can remember.

I had the girls and Joshua with me and Emma spent half the time whining and crying, Hannah spent half the time telling me all the things she wanted to buy and sulking because I wouldn't let her (and complaining about how it wasn't fair that Daddy and I got to buy whatever we wanted but they never got what they wanted! If she only knew!!!), and Joshua had had it and needed a nap and bottle. I went into the store before feeding him because I wanted to get him a new nipple for his bottle first and I was only going to be in there for 1/2 an hour. I should learn by now that when you add children into the mix you are never going to get in and out of anywhere in the time you normally would. We did not leave Wal-Mart for an hour and a half and half an hour of that was spent in checking out.

Shopping of course takes longer when you have everyone constantly fighting over who gets to push the cart and who gets to ride where in the cart (and there are never enough spaces for all my children). And then of course I have so many helpful little shoppers that I have to keep curbing and replacing all of there "purchases". And of course Joshua does not want to be anywhere except in my arms and in case you didn't catch this earlier, he is 25 lbs.! I cannot do a lot of carrying and cart pushing and supervising without becoming quite stressed. However, with a lot of maneuvering of children and keeping a strong curb on my temper we make it to the checkout stand and the real torture began.

My first problem was that I got in an extremely slow line (not that there were many choices). My second problem was that when I finally got everything unloaded I found that we had lost the tag for the fabric we were buying. The register would not accept a typed in price so when we finally got everything rung up and paid for (try writing a check and holding a fussy 10 month old at the same time--NOT FUN) I had to go back to the craft section of the store and get a new price tag and then go back and pay for that. Imagine to yourself the great time I am having. I saw one Self-Check register empty so I thought I would just go there since I only had one item and was paying with cash. This turned into a big mistake. Hannah wanted to help and accidentally rang it up twice so then we had to wait for someone to come and help us and, of course, there was no one around to do that! I finally caught someone's attention after 5 min. and could pay but found that I was short just one penny in cash so had to dig out my debit card to pay and then the receipt wouldn't print!

All of this is frustrating enough but keep in mind that I had a crying baby who didn't want to be put down and a 3 year old who kept up a running whine/cry of wanting to be in the cart (which was full!) and wanting to leave and being tired of standing, etc.; and you can see why I was wound up like a tight spring. I still have not really come completely unwound and we have been home for many hours.

To make the perfect end to my horrible day in town we went to the KFC drive-thru for lunch. I thought everything would be good since I was able to avoid having another lunch at McDonald's (my children's food of choice). However, as we are driving down the road I reach for the mashed potatoes and gravy, which was all that I ordered and realized that they neglected to give us any spoons!!!!!!!!! I thought I would have to continue starving until I got home, but I decided to be creative. I dug around in our diaper bag (of course we were pulled over, what do you think!) and found a tube of Baby Orajel. I used the bottom edge of this as a scoop to shovel those potatoes in. Of course I spilled a bit on myself but I didn't care since we were just going home and I could change (or not!), but I just couldn't help thinking that this just put the icing on my terrible day cake!

I need bedtime so I can stop dealing with kids and messes and just relax. Hopefully then I will be okay! Sorry for this unloading but I really just needed to vent and Paul only now walked in the door. Life really is not that bad around here, it has just been a rather stressful day. I will write again when I feel better so that you will not worry about my sanity! : )

3 comments:

Ilene said...

Oh Krissy Jo. That sounds awful. I know how you felt. It is that feeling of desperation- where you just want to run away but well, you can't because they are your children. Then that thought just makes you want to find a corner to yourself and cry. Those are the days where I just get home as soon as possible and put in a movie and try to regain some semblance of sanity. I'm glad you at least survived the trip!

Ilene said...

Oh my gosh, Kristin. Today during errands I had to take my kids out to eat and so I went to KFC. They totally forgot to give me my spork. I was pretty ticked off because I had gone through the Drive-through for a reason- I didn't want to go inside the restaurant. Of course the drive-through was crowded so I had to park and get the kids out and march up to the counter and get a spork. I thought of you. Next time we will know better than to leave without checking for a spork. That is if I ever return to KFC.

Alison said...

So funny. Yesterday when we were in the store. Lina was fasinated by a kids giving the ultimate temper tantrum. As I tried and tried to make her give the kid some space, the childs mom said," she is probably interested because she has never seen anything like this before." I told her, no I think she is picking up tactics for her next go at it. To bad we all have to experience those days. I always envy those women buying children's items without any children. Oh how I would love to go by diapers, and not have to take any one with me. Maybe some day!