Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rebekah Louise

Sunday 8/23/09
3:31 pm
8 lbs. 8 oz.
20 3/4 in.


Our precious Bekah surprised us on Sunday afternoon. My body was still showing no signs of going into labor so we were not even thinking about a hospital visit in the near future. I went to church with the two oldest kids because the younger two were still coughing. So was I but I thought that our Primary president might be the only one of the presidency at church that day due to illness and sick kids so I decided to go to church. However, the last 1/2 hour of church I started having quite painful contractions. I still wasn't sure that it was the real thing because, as I said, my body showed no other signs. These got more and more regular and I told Paul that something might be happening when I got home. I changed and dished up some of the bean dip he made and as I lay on the bed eating the pains got more intense. You would think that by the 5th child I would no for certain that I was in labor, but my husband had to convince me that I should go to the hospital. About 15-20 min. after getting home we were packing bags, calling my mom to watch the kids and loading up in the car. By then we were pretty certain that there would be no return trip without a babe coming back with us. I tried not to show the kids how much pain I was in but that was probably impossible. They handled it well, they were too excited for that baby sister to come out!

I have never had to drive more than 5 min. to get to a hospital while in labor. I thought that I was going to die! I was always grateful when the contractions would hold off for an extra minute between--they were coming every 3-4 minutes! We checked in to the hospital and got changed and weighed and hooked up to the monitors. Around two they checked me and I was at 4 cm. In the next hour they had me answering all their preliminary questions, hooking up an IV and getting me an epidural.

The epidural was a failure. She tried to get one in for 20 min or so (I don't know for certain since pain was making clear thought impossible--it might have been 10 minutes!) Anyway, she couldn't get one in. She thinks there might have been some scarring from a previous epidural. I think that it didn't help that the contractions were coming so hard and fast that I couldn't hold a good position for long. She finally gave me a spinal block and left. However, my reprieve was short lived. After about 20 minutes I was feeling the pain again! An hour after checking in I had my spinal and was checked and was at 8 cm. By now my doctor was there and he told everyone that I go fast and so they got the room ready and 15 min. later I was at a 9 so they finished readying everything and me and I pushed (with a lot of pain since my spinal wasn't working anymore!) But it was short lived. She was born about 5 minutes later; a precious miracle that we could now hold in our arms.

We love her so much and think she gets cuter everyday. I have been awful at taking pictures/videos of her. I am suffering from exhaustion, baby blues, and getting my older kids off to their first week of school. Here are a few of the pictures that we have of her first week at home.

She arrives!



Adoring family






Papa brought the kids to meet their new baby sister that evening and Nama and Grandma Hansen came to visit later that night after the Seminary Fireside was over. Everyone was so excited to meet our little Bekah.

Getting ready to come home


Look at all the hair!!!


We have brought all of our children home from the hospital in this outfit

First bath at home




Miscellaneous photos of her first week


Our tiny bundle of joy. She has been a very good baby! She sleeps all the time right now, we'll see what life is like when she wakes up!



One Week Old!

9 comments:

Ilene said...

YAY!!

She is beautiful. LOVE the hair.

I'm so happy for you guys! I hope I get another little girl because I can't seem to get enough of my one.

Ashley said...

Congrats!!!!! She is so adorable! I was so surprised to hear she had been born a few hours after I saw you at church. You're amazing!

Colleen said...

What a gorgeous baby girl!!!! Congratulations! I'm sorry that you didn't get your epidural. Thank goodness your labor was quick! I can't believe you were running Primary shortly before giving birth crazy girl! I hope you get some good sleep (at least a 2 or 3 hour stretch) tonight! Oh, and I love the picture of Joshua holding Bekah. The look on his face is priceless - it made me laugh because he is dog-gone adorable! Love ya!

Michelle said...

I made a cute little flower for her hair, but I keep forgetting to send it home with Hyrum. Ethan is really mad that he hasn't been able to see her yet, and he's over his cold, so I may have to bring him by soon. Mazie has been talking nonstop about how adorable Rebekah is!

ckw said...

Wow! she is gorgeous and TONS of hair! Congratulations!

Jilian Webb Porter said...

She is beautiful Kristen! Congratulations to you and Paul.

The Davidsons said...

So good to see pictures of the new babe and your family. I've been meaning to call and see how you are doing, but I'm not sure when would be a good time. Wouldn't want to interrupt any nap time for you. :)

Crystal said...

Adorable! What fun hair! My girls were both bald! :)

Kelly said...

Hey Kristin!

Thanks for your message! I should have some more pictures up soon of it all decorated, but I still need to get pictures up on the walls! How are you guys doing? Sounds like you are so busy! I have so much respect for you for homeschooling. I want to, but not sure I can take it all on. It scares me actually. I am sure it will get better for you, just hang in there! Hope you all are doing well! Oh and don't worry about the blog, I so understand. :)