Thursday, May 17, 2007

Imagination

I love to watch and listen to my kids when they are using their imaginations. Sometimes you get to hear fun little romantic dramas from the girls' Polly Pockets, barbies and princess dolls as they discuss love and marriage. Or you get to hear about the grave peril other toys are in (such as when Hyrum plays with his animals. They are always running away from something so they won't get eaten and falling off of cliffs and things.) And I love it when they are "reading" books. They look at the pictures and make up their own stories if it is a new book or they try to retell it through memory if it is one that I have read to them. It is the sweetest thing.

I am not so sure I enjoy listening to them playing "house", however, because the mom and dad always sound so demanding and downright mean. I can pretend that it is all learned from the TV shows and movies they watch, which might be true to some extent, but I know that a lot of the phrases they use come out of my own mouth. Of course, they don't seem that awful when I am saying them (and we do have to allow for artistic license and all that), but it sure makes you think about how your kids are interpreting everything you say and do!

I didn't really mean to go off on a tangent like that. I was mainly writing this so I could share some pictures of my girls in some of their "imaginations". SO . . . drum roll please . . . here they are!





This is Hannah and Emma playing "At the Ball". Hannah wanted to be a princess dancing with a prince at a ball. There is nothing like a willing little sister to supply the want of the real thing. They came up with the "prince's" costume on their own. She is wearing her big brother's sunday pants (rolled up) and shirt with her own Sunday shoes and a cape (every prince needs a cape!). To top it all off she is wearing one of the girls' knitted caps with a crown on top. It was too adorable! They even had the correct dance position, but as the dance continued it turned into more of a headlock! It was one of those, "I love being a mother!", moments.




This is Emma in another of her get-ups! She is playing with her Polly Pockets which she LOVES. She and Hannah had created a whole house outside with tons of dolls, books, flowers, baskets, toys, etc. They had a great time and the house was quiet so Joshua had a great nap so I had a great time. Bringing it all in and cleaning it up was not so much fun, but that is the price we must pay sometimes.




Hannah loves having a brother who will dress up with her again. Not that Joshua had much of a say in the whole process, but looking at his face I think it is obvious that he didn't have any objections. He really was just too cute!


I wish that I had a picture of Hyrum using his imagination but now that he is a big school boy we don't have as many photo opportunities. Plus, now that he is older he is more into organizing and list making and managing made up parties, dinners and activities. He is not your typical boy in some ways (not big on super heroes and sports), but he is very loveable with his seriousness, love for animals and his love for reading (especially anything about animals!)

I LOVE MY KIDS!!!!!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Very cute to read about your kids. After your post and Ilene's recent post about Jackson and Superman, I think it is time I start working on Dress Ups for my girls, any suggestions how to start?

Kristin said...

For us we just bought those cute little princess dress-up boxes that are sometimes at Costco. It wasn't too expensive. They aren't the sturdiest costumes but the girls grow so fast and they still think they are beautiful in ratty dresses so I haven't really cared. I had a friend who went and bought a bunch of halloween costumes after Halloween when they were cheap and found a lot of cute things that way. And when my parents saw how much the girls liked dressing up they of course did their share of filling the dress-up box!