Monday, September 15, 2008

Farming 2008


This is my husband "driving" the tractor in the field behind our house. In case you can't tell what is going on in the picture, he is reading while driving. This tractor is hooked to a GPS device so that all my husband needs to do is turn it around at one end of the field and line it up to head down to the other end of the field and then the GPS takes over until he reaches the end of the field again. He has read a couple books this way. Not that my husband doesn't have other, more difficult and even unpleasant jobs at other times. But when it is his time to drive this tractor around for the day or a few hours I don't really feel sorry for him and his long day away from home (and the mess and the fights and the stresses, etc.) He is happy that at the time of this picture he was reading his scriptures and so was doing something worthwhile and productive. : )

Thanks Ashley for giving me the idea from this post. It never crossed my mind until you mentioned it. I guess I have gotten used to seeing it over the last year or so when they first got it and didn't see anything unusual about it. It took a fresh perspective for me to see the blogging opportunities. : )

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That looks like REALLY hard work. Oh, that we could all be farmers!

Ashley said...

You're welcome! I wish our tractors were that fancy!

ShaRee said...

I am not good at reading and driving! I would be all over the place even if it is telling me where to go and what to do! :) I am impressed, great picture

Colleen said...

What a rough day at work! My sister once tried reading/studying for a final while driving on the freeway. It didn't turn out too well! That's really cool that Paul can do that - otherwise I imagine he could get pretty bored driving back & forth across the field all day; just like driving on a long road trip can get monotonous.

Ilene said...

I'm reporting you to the local DMV